Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Coachella Day 2

Saturday morning, Chloe and Flavia called a taxi and headed back to the venue to search for Flavia's car. They found it about an hour after they left parked on a dirt mound somewhere. Once I heard the car had been located I knew the rest of Coachella would be amazing. 

I got in to the venue around 2:30 and headed over to see Portugal. The Man. They sounded great. After they finished I made my way to the barrier for Girls. 









Loved their set. Christopher Owens waltzed on stage wearing bright red lipstick and blue eyeshadow and looked like a total babe doing it. After Girls was over, I immediately headed to the outdoor stage with the goal of making it to the barrier for MGMT later that night. First up was The Temper Trap who had a good sized crowd

Next up was one of my favorite bands of all time: Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros. I managed to weave my way to the middle of the pack during Temper Trap, but couldn't get any closer during ESMZ. 
Before they started, Alex Ebert accidentally knocked a microphone stand off the stage and hit a photographer in the head. The photog started bleeding and Alex said something along the lines of "Oh, I'm so sorry. You're a real hero man" before taking his shirt off and wrapping it around the guy's head like a bandage. 


Edward Sharpe finished up and I continued pushing my way towards the front. The xx played next and they sounded great but were kind of boring. I think their music would probably translate better in a more intimate venue. During The xx's set, the Coachella stage caught fire and after finishing a song, Oliver Sim looked out towards the stage and said "the roof is on fire." I laughed. 
 Following The xx was Hot Chip. The crowd literally went insane. I thought I was going to suffocate. 

Tried to take some video but it's mostly just some guy's head in front of me. When it was finally time for MGMT there was no way I could make it any closer to the front. I ended up around 5 to 7 people back, which was impressive considering the crowd they drew. Took six videos:



Time To Pretend, Electric Feel, and It's Working are on my youtube channel. I was being pummeled by the crowd and it was disastrous trying to keep the camera focused, but I think the sound came out okay. Also got some mediocre photos:
MGMT was great. By the time they were finished I was so exhausted I thought my body was going to disintegrate. I found my friends and we all headed over to the giant origami crane structure, sat down, and listened to the end of Muse and the beginning of Tiesto

Someone commented on this video and said it looked like a spaceship landing hahaha. 

That about sums up Day 2. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment