Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Coachella Day 3

Sunday April 18th was one of the best days of my life. Got to the venue around 2 and headed straight to the outdoor stage, determined to get a spot at the barrier for Thom Yorke (who is my favorite artist in the universe). Owen Pallet was the first act I saw. He was great, and he has the best laugh ever. 

Deerhunter was next and they really impressed me. They had some power issues so while the guys were waiting for that to be fixed, Brad Cox made up an impromptu song about Coachella 2010 and I snagged the whole thing on video. 


When Deerhunter finished I bolted to the barrier and secured my spot for Thom Yorke. Sunny Day Real Estate followed. They were decent but probably not something I'd listen to again. Jonsi's performance was fantastic. I absolutely loved him. He was wearing the coolest jacket ever and his voice was incredible. Plus his bassist is one of the cutest boys alive. 



By the time Phoenix took the stage the crowd had really grown. Everyone started pushing and shoving and I thought my body might break in half. Not to mention I had been standing since 2pm waiting for Thom to take the stage. Didn't eat, didn't sit down once, but it was completely worth it in the end. Phoenix was amazing and during their set Jay Z, Beyonce, Kate Hudson and Solange all came to the photo pit right next to me to watch. I took video of Phoenix performing Lisztomania and filmed a bit of the aforementioned people rocking out. I don't actually remember filming them (I feel kind of bad for doing it now) but it was pretty cool that they were so close. 

During Phoenix's performance, Thomas Mars ran to the barrier and jumped right on top of me. Everyone around me freaked out.

Phoenix finished and then began the hour and half wait for Thom Yorke and Atoms For Peace. By this time I was so exhausted I didn't know how I was going to stay up front, but the crowd pushed so hard that I couldn't have left anyway. When Atoms For Peace finally took the stage I couldn't believe how close I was. I took 13 videos before my camera died. Still can't comprehend that I was there.




Thom Yorke is indescribable. Something I'll never forget. Now all I need to do is see Radiohead play live and my life will be complete! 

Coachella was such a great experience, despite the disaster that was Friday. I'm definitely going to try to go again next year. Totally worth the money and the physical pain haha. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment